Racer given shakedown

Racer given shakedown

Two South Island tracks will be the first to host the new Toyota Gazoo Racing New Zealand’s FT-60 open-wheelers when the five-round 2020 Toyota Racing Series (TRS) roars into life in January.

The 280 horsepower, high-downforce state-of-the-art racer began testing last week in the hands of two-time New Zealand Grand Prix winner Daniel Gaunt. He was charged with providing feedback on the car before it debuts at Highlands Motorsport Park for the opening on January 17-19. The series then moves to Invercargill’s Teretonga Park for round two.

Gaunt got to try out the car in a range of conditions with a dry run at Hampton Downs and a wet set of laps at Manfeild: Circuit Chris Amon.

‘‘There is a big difference between this car and the previous Castrol Toyota Racing Series machines. It’s a much bigger car, with more downforce and it’s 100kg heavier with all of the modern safety equipment. That being said, with nearly 300 horsepower and a turbocharger, it’s an extremely quick car,’’ he said.

After Teretonga, the series heads to the North Island for the remaining three weekends of racing that will include the Denny Hulme Memorial Trophy at Hampton Downs Motorsport Park, the New Zealand Motor Cup, which is likely to be confirmed for Pukekohe soon, and the New Zealand Grand Prix meeting from February 14-16, at Manfeild: Circuit Chris Amon.

- Catherine Pattison

Photo: Andy Kruy

Top